Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Special Valentine for My Wife!



I always dread the approach of Valentine's Day. The reason? I face the same impossible task every year: to find the "perfect" Valentine's Day card for my wife-one with the precise words to express my true feelings for her! Up until now, I have failed miserably. And, I think most guys will relate to what I go through every year: the rather gloomy proposition of studying 100 Valentine's Day cards at a Hallmark store, and finding that none are quite right! Yes, I know that most guys-me included-will "settle" for buying flowers, candy and dinner; then, the quality of the card won't matter quite so much. Still, I wanted to find that "perfect" card for my wife, and I resolutely believed that this was the year I'd finally do it! In that regard, I have long believed that life has a way of giving you what you truly want-and yesterday I got the opportunity to prove it.

As I was checking my email, I came across one that advertised a Valentine's Day poetry contest! I became intrigued, because this topic closely coincided with my recent dominant thoughts. I fleetingly considered entering the contest, then quickly dismissed the thought. How could I ever hope to compete in a poetry contest, when I had never written a poem in my entire life? I left the matter alone, and went about my day. I eventually retired for the evening, without giving it a second thought.

Strangely, I couldn't sleep at all; tossing, turning, mind irritatingly active. What time I actually fell asleep, I'll never know. But I do remember that I woke up at exactly 1:38AM! I was wide awake, and had some strange rhyming words reverberating in my head. Poetry! I raced to the computer, and dashed off the following lines in less than two minutes. I named it: Be My Valentine.

Love so wide, love so deep,

Love that you can always keep;

Love so gentle, love all mine,

Be my little Valentine.

Always with me, thick and thin,

Always helping me to win;

Always caring, so refined,

Be my little Valentine.

Love amazing, love sublime,

Love to stand the test of time;

Love increasing, hearts entwined,

Always be my Valentine!

I'm going to submit this poem to the contest, with no expectations; and I'll never write about the outcome. But, I did get exactly what I wanted: I finally had the words to express my true feelings for my wife, my soul mate! This poem will always be for my wife Cindy. But, if any of you are "stuck" with no good Valentine's Day card, I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you copied the words-for the love of your life! Happy Valentine's Day to all!



0 comments:

Post a Comment